Has FreeStyle Libre 14-Day Discontinued? Yes, the FreeStyle Libre 14-Day System was discontinued in January 2021 by Abbott.
Yes, You’ve heard it right! Abbott’s glucose-detecting device FreeStyle Libre 14-Day System has gone. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved this system in 2018, but it has been discontinued already.
The system followed its sensor to monitor the continuous glucose level for 14 days with high accuracy when it wore the people.
It was a perfect system with high-tech sensors for those who are suffering from diabetes and wants to maintain healthy glucose levels. These systems came up with the best ninja technique that helped in lowering their blood sugar level without any pain.
Unlike painful fingersticks or a bulky glucose monitoring machine, this method was painless. It was a life-changing and painless technology, but it can be disappointing for all of us to know that they are no longer now.
Its painless formula saved patients from pricking their fingers more than 8 to 10 times daily to check their glucose levels.
If you want to know more about FreeStyle Libre 14-Day System, go through this blog post!
DiscontinuedNews is impartial and independent, and every day, we create distinctive, world-class programs, news, and content that inform, educate and entertain millions of people worldwide.
Why Is FreeStyle Libre 14-Day Used?
FreeStyle Libre 14-Day System was a self-applied glucose sensor approved by the FDA.
It was used to monitor glucose data with high accuracy with the help of a sensor; it also improved the patients’ experience and encouraged people to maintain their condition better.
Do you know? The record from the FreeStyle Libre system could be shared with the healthcare providers. If people find an imbalance in their glucose level, they could check with this system, and the data could be shared with doctors so that they could provide them with the most effective treatment plan to cure diabetes. Not only data maintaining ability it had but it also offered smart diabetes nutrition.
It was believed that FreeStyle Libre helped people who were suffering from diabetes around the world, and they achieved the best results. Patients who wanted to maintain their glucose levels and did heavy work out daily found no effective results, but this technology helped them to a greater extent.
Because of its quality, and specialty, that system was honored as one of the most innovative creations in the company, although other innovative creations were also there.
When it was in business, people didn’t need to stick their fingers more than ten times daily to monitor a patient’s glucose level. It was used for its high technology that provided diabetes patients with three major pieces of record with every single scan.
- It provided the real-time glucose result.
- Represented Historical trends for 8 hour
- That trend arrow represented a magnitude that showed people the direction of glucose (where glucose was going)
What Precautions Should One Have Taken While Using This System?
- FreeStyle Libre 14 Day System was a machine; we know machines can be broken down anytime. Similarly, sometimes, the sensor did not work according to the condition, and problems occurred, such as system readings not matching the symptoms, readings not being accurate, and several others.
- Due to low blood glucose levels, other symptoms were also seen, including unawareness and dehydration. To prevent these problems, patients were forced to check sensor glucose readings with a blood glucose meter and check blood glucose symbols.
- Also, the systems were high-tech, but there was no alarming system that alarms unless the sensor was scanned.
- People with these systems had to take good care of their devices as they contain small parts that could be choked, which proved dangerous. Additionally, these systems were not advised for people on dialysis, people with severe conditions, or pregnant women.
- The system’s sensor was approved only at the back of the arm or nowhere else on the body; it also should have taken good care while carrying the system to prevent blood-borne pathogens.
- Along with these precautions, this glucose meter, FreeStyle Libre 14 Day with or without neonates, critically ill patients, or for screening of diabetes could not prove to be helpful for use in the hyperglycemic-hyperosmolar state, dehydrated, in shock conditions, and hypotensive.
In a nutshell, FreeStyle Libre 14-Day System was the perfect device for diabetes patients. With the help of that device, one could easily maintain patients’ records at their fingertips. It could be the future for people with diabetes, but the company has discontinued this product. If you want to know the reason behind Freestyle Libre’s 14-Day Discontinuation, keep reading!
Why Has Freestyle Libre 14 Day Been Discontinued?
The company has discontinued its several products and FreeStyle Libre 14 Day device, the most popular device that has been recalled. The reason for its stoppage was the system used rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. It produced extensive heat, so the device got extremely hot, and sometimes it caught fire when not stored properly.
The problem did not arise with the storage but also if not charged properly or used the same company power adapter and USB cable. So, people came up with various issues, so Abbott was forced to discontinue the product.
Where To Buy FreeStyle Libre 14-Day System?
Abbott discontinued its Freestyle Libre 14-Day System a couple of years back. But the Reddit threat indicated, after being discontinued, the meter was still manufacturing, and they did not know how long it lasted.
For now, they have been cut down from the markets. So, we can’t say anything about its availability. You may find this product if the store still carries the previous stock. Otherwise, we don’t think so, as the company has already discontinued manufacturing this item.
It can’t be possible, but a rare case is if you find the FreeStyle Libre 14 Day, but FreeStyle Libre 2 systems can be available through some of the healthcare pharmacies and local stores across the country. But we suggest changing your system to make its availability easier for you.
One solution for diabetes patients is to switch from the FreeStyle Libre 14-Day system to Libre 2 or any other glucose meter offered by the company across the country. These can be easily available at Amazon, eBay, and several other places.
The Final Words
Those continuous glucose monitoring devices, FreeStyle Libre 14 Day and FreeStyle Libre, have been discontinued. Both represented the blood glucose level and helped in testing, detecting, and tracking the patterns.
The data from the system aided in the investigation of hyperglycemia (High glucose level) and hypoglycemia (low glucose level) episodes. After tracking the pattern and trends, it facilitated acute and long-term therapy to provide them with the most effective treatment for their lives.
But one system could be used by a single patient and should follow up the prescription. Some points people kept in mind when they used the system, such as they should have to put off the sensor before diathermy treatment, CT Scan, MRI, and X-Ray.