Oh, guess what? Apple’s MagSafe Battery Pack and MagSafe Duo Charger are no more! Yep, they discontinued them in September 2023, right after the buzz about the iPhone 15. Sad news – you can’t snag them from Apple’s site anymore; those pages are gone.
Someone in the know, Ming-Chi Kuo, hinted last year that the MagSafe Battery Pack might go USB-C. But who knows? Apple’s a mystery – are they saying goodbye or cooking up something new? Dive into the unknown with us!
When Did The MagSafe Battery Pack Come Out?
The MagSafe Battery Pack came out in 2021 and cost $99. It sticks to the back of iPhone 12 and newer models with magnets and gives extra battery life. The MagSafe Duo Charger was a $129 mat that folded, and you could charge iPhones and an Apple Watch on it. Apple first used the name “MagSafe” for the special power connectors on its MacBook computers. This started with the MacBook Pro in 2006.
Apple did release some other things with USB-C, like updated AirPods and EarPods. Also, the remote for Apple TV got a USB-C port last year.
Usually, when Apple shows new stuff, they sometimes discontinue making the old things. People were surprised when they discovered Apple stopped the MagSafe Battery Pack after revealing the new iPhones.
Some people felt it was time for the Duo Charger to go. It didn’t fit all iPhones perfectly, especially the fancier ones with bigger cameras. Other chargers from Nomad look better and work well, even though they might be too heavy for travel.
What Products Did Apple Discontinue This Year?
A lot of Apple products have been discontinued this year. Let’s see what’s gone:
- iPhone 13 mini: They discontinued making the small iPhone 13 after bringing out the new iPhone 15 series. People liked the small iPhone, but it didn’t sell as much as the bigger ones.
- 13-inch MacBook Pro: Apple said bye-bye to the 13-inch MacBook Pro at their recent event. It had an old design with a thing called Touch Bar. Now, they have a new 14-inch MacBook Pro with more cool stuff.
- MagSafe Battery Pack: This was a cool gadget that stuck to the back of iPhones for extra battery life. But Apple said no more after the iPhone 15 came with a new charging port.
- MagSafe Duo Charger: Another charging thing that worked for iPhones and Apple Watches. But Apple discontinued making it, too.
- Leather Accessories: Apple stopped selling fancy leather things like iPhone cases, wallets, and Apple Watch bands. They’re trying to be more eco-friendly and use different materials.
They also discontinued some apps like iTunes Movie Trailers and a special Apple Music plan.
Why Did Apple Discontinue MagSafe?
The reason? The new iPhones use a different cable called USB-C, but the Battery Pack is like the old cable called Lightning. Imagine using two separate lines to charge one phone. Sounds tricky. However, the company has not revealed the exact reason behind discontinuing MagSafe Battery Packs.
Will MagSafe Come Back?
Apple discontinued selling the MagSafe Battery Pack, and people are wondering if it will come back with a new USB-C plug.
One of the guys named John Gruber, who knows a lot about Apple, says they usually release battery packs a few months after new iPhones. He thinks Apple is done with the MagSafe Battery Pack, but if they’re making a new one with USB-C, it’s not surprising they didn’t tell anybody before. We might have to wait until November.
Another person, Mark Gurman, thinks the USB-C versions of the MagSafe Battery Pack and MagSafe Duo Charger might come back someday, but he says don’t get too excited.
A while ago, in May 2022, a person named Ming-Chi Kuo said a USB-C version of the MagSafe Battery Pack would come out soon. But we don’t know if he still thinks that.
What If Your Old MagSafe Doesn’t Work?
If your Mac’s charging isn’t working right, here’s what you can do:
- Know Your Cable: Macs use different charging cables. There’s MagSafe 3, MagSafe 2, L style, and T style. Make sure you know which one your Mac uses.
- Wattage Matters: Use the right power adapter for your laptop. It’s best to use the one that came with your Mac.
- Noise Issues: If there’s an issue with your power source, unplug the adapter, wait 60 seconds, and then plug it back in. If it works after this, you might have a noise issue. Try using a different power outlet or a UPS.
- Check the Cable: If your Mac doesn’t charge, try using a different Apple AC plug or a Power Adapter Extension Cable. If it works, the original plug or cable needs replacing.
- Clean the Port: Make sure the charging port is clean and free of stuff. It’s magnetic and can attract metal bits.
- Flashing Light: If the MagSafe 3 connector light keeps flashing amber, unplug everything, wipe the ports and connectors dry, restart your Mac, and try charging again. If it keeps flashing, contact Apple.
- Check the Power: Make sure your power outlet works. Plug in something like a lamp to check. If it works, try charging your Mac again. If not, shut down your Mac, close it, wait 30 seconds, then open it and try again.
- Sparks: Sometimes, sparks are normal when you plug in your adapter. But if it sparks weirdly or damages something, contact Apple.
- Adapter Warmth: It’s normal for the power adapter to get a bit warm. Just don’t cover it with anything.
Remember, if things aren’t working, it’s okay to ask for help from Apple!
What Is Better – MagSafe 2 Or MagSafe 3?
MagSafe 3 is slimmer than MagSafe 2, but it’s a little wider. This means the newer one won’t work with older versions.
Here are the sizes:
- MagSafe 3: 18.81mm long, 13.18mm thick, and 4.48mm high.
- MagSafe 2: 17.16mm long, 5.36mm thick, and 13.01mm high.
The MagSafe 3 cable can give more than 100w of power and supports something called PD 3.1. A MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max gives about 136.68W.
Pictures are comparing the two. One shows MagSafe 3 with the MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max, and the other offers MagSafe 2 with the same laptop. MagSafe 3 has a longer part that connects and a better-looking light. The cool thing about it is that it works with other chargers, too. This means it’s not just for these new laptops.
Can You Still Buy Apple MagSafe Battery Packs?
Apple has decided to discontinue selling the MagSafe Battery Pack and the MagSafe Duo Charger on their official website and in their stores. But here’s the good news! You can still get your hands on them if you check out other big stores like Best Buy, Amazon, B&H Photo, and Walmart. So, if you’re in the mood for some MagSafe action, you know where to go – just not directly to Apple this time!
Is It Worth Buying The Apple MagSafe Battery Pack?
Yes, it is worth buying as the Apple MagSafe Battery Pack and PCMag gave it a thumbs up. It’s like a pocket-sized battery buddy for your iPhone 12, giving it a boost when it’s running low. The MagSafe Battery Pack clicks right onto your iPhone and charges it up super fast. Plus, it plays nice with all iPhone 12 models and shares charging cables with them.
But it’s a bit pricier than other battery pals. Mark Ellis Reviews even suggests sticking to regular power banks if you’re watching your wallet. So, while the MagSafe Battery Pack is awesome, it might not be the budget-friendly choice.
MagSafe Battery Pack Performance
According to Apple, the MagSafe Battery Pack can provide:
- 70% extra charge for iPhone 12 mini or iPhone 13 mini
- 60% extra charge for iPhone 12 or iPhone 13
- 60% extra charge for iPhone 12 Pro or iPhone 13 Pro
- 40% extra charge for iPhone 12 Pro Max or iPhone 13 Pro Max
According to research, the MagSafe battery pack successfully charged a completely drained iPhone 12 from 0 to 60%. Other battery packs may exceed this charging capacity.
What Are Top MagSafe Battery Packs?
Below, you can check a few of the top MagSafe Battery Packs:
Hyper Magnetic Wireless Battery Pack
- Pros: Pass-through charging, fast charging.
- Cons: Largest size, charges one device at a time.
Baseus 20W 6,000mAh Magnetic Power Bank
- Pros: Inexpensive, four colour options.
- Cons: Slower charging.
Apple MagSafe Battery Pack
- Pros: It merges well with iOS, has smart charging, and is compact.
- Cons: Pricy, limited colours.
Anker PowerCore Magnetic 5K
- Pros: Supports pass-through charging, extra USB-C port, compact.
- Cons: Bulky, max 5W output.
Anker 622 Magnetic Battery
- Pros: Built-in stand, affordable, various colours.
- Cons: Not for iPhone 12 or 13 mini, slow charge.
myCharge MagLock Magnetic Powerbank
- Pros: Multi-functional, USB-C port, budget-friendly.
- Cons: Bulky.
Baseus 10,000mAh Magnetic Charger
- Pros: It sticks well to the phone, charges two devices at once, and is wireless.
- Cons: Need extras for Android use.
Apple MagSafe Battery Pack Discontinued – Summing Up
In Summary, Apple discontinued MagSafe Battery Packs in September 2023. This iconic device has been known for its magnetic charging prowess. Not only this, but it has also been a staple in Apple products, but now it takes a back seat. The MagSafe lineup, including accessories like the MagSafe Duo Charger and the MagSafe Battery Pack, joins the list of Apple products that were discontinued in 2023. As Apple continues to innovate and evolve, the retirement of MagSafe leaves users reminiscing about its magnetic charm and convenience. However, people are saying MagSafe Battery Pack will come back someday. But the company has not discussed anything about its comeback. So, stay tuned as the end of an era prompts anticipation for what’s next in Apple’s groundbreaking tech journey.